Advanced RPAS Ground School
$599.00 – $899.00
Everything you need to get started in the RPAS (drone) industry in Canada taught in person by industry experts.
- All knowledge requirements for the 2019 RPAS Advanced Exam
- One of the first to be Transport Canada compliant
- All training you need to be compliant
- Valid for the 2018 UAV Pilot Permit
- Aerobotika’s Training Guarantee
- Free ground school for life
Select Date and Location Below
Selecting a date will show you the availability for that location. For more information on each location, please check our locations page. By advancing to the next page you agree to our Terms and Conditons.
What you get
- All of the knowledge you need to run a RPAS operation
- The certificate of completion needed for your SFOC and insurance
- Your radio operators certificate (ROC-A)
- Access to the Aerobotika training guarantee
- Free ground school for life
This in-person course is available in our classrooms every month:
Select your city and date from the selection on the top right.
What sets us apart?
Aerobotika’s training was the first in Canada to be designed around the Transport Canada requirements, but we don’t stop there. Our training gets very in depth about commercial UAV technology and business practices. The ground school is only the first part of a comprehensive commercial UAV pilot career program and we’re one of the few schools on Transport Canada’s list of compliant training organizations!
Who is it for?
You! Whether you’re an RC pilot who wants to know more, a commercial operator looking to add to your resume or brand new to the industry, our pilot ground school course will equip you with all the necessary knowledge to get started on the right foot.
Why do I need it?
With the regulation changes in 2016, pilots will require training from an organization such as ours to meet the Compliant Operator criteria. Currently, training shows Transport Canada, insurance companies and potential clients you’re serious about safety and have the knowledge to follow through.
Dates and Times
Most of our RPAS Ground Schools run on weekends. If weekdays work better for you, let us know from the contact form below. We do have weekday courses popping up from time to time.
Saturday 09:00 to 17:00
Sunday 09:00 to 17:00
Monday 09:00 to 17:00
Tuesday 09:00 to 17:00
The dates for our courses are listed in the top right of this page. Choose the date and location that is best for you and see the price and availability.
Will I be certified?
Sort of. There is currently no certificate or license in Canada. However, there is an application process. Aerobotika will certify that you have passed the course and understand the content. This is one of the 3 things needed to get your Special Flight Operations certificate that is required to run your commercial UAV mission.
Do I have to take this training?
None! Pilot ground school is a great place to get started.
Corporate, Custom, and Group Training
What you’ll learn
Our 2-day course equips you with fundamental knowledge in these five areas.
One of the primary ways of ensuring aviation safety is for all operators to have a good grasp of regulations and procedures. The manned aviation industry regulations are currently being amended to apply to unmanned aerial vehicles as well.
- Introduction to CARs
- Aerodromes and Airports
- Airspace Structure
- Aircraft Operating Restrictions
- Operating and Flight Rules
- Operational and Emergency
- Flight Preparations, Flight Plans, Flight Itineraries
- Pre-Flight Requirements
- Operations in the Vicinity of an Aerodrome
- VFR Air Regulations
- Special Flight Operations
- Aircraft Requirements
- Aircraft Equipment Requirements
- Aircraft Maintenance Requirements Aircraft Technical Records
- New CAR Subpart*
- Transportation Safety Board
- Air Traffic Services
- Other Legislation
Transport Canada is expected to release the new Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs), including the Subpart listed above, that apply to UAV operators in the summer of 2017. We will be offering updates to our students as the regulations change to ensure our training remains valid and relevant. Check out our training guarantee for more info
Though your aircraft won’t be leaving your sight, knowing how to interpret aviation charts is a fundamental skill. This part of the course is interactive and ties in well, helping to connect the dots in understanding airspace.
- Maps and Charts
- Time and Longitude
- Pilot Navigation
- Triangle of Velocity
- Pre-Flight Preparation
- Radio Theory, GNSS and Other Radio and Radar Aids
Access and read weather like a pilot! Learn some essential tools available to you and the weather theory that goes along with it.
- Composition of the Atmosphere
- Atmospheric Pressure
- Altimetry and Meteorological Conditions
- Atmospheric Moisture
- Stability and Instability- Fog and Inversions
- Cloud Types
- Fog and Surface Based Layers
- Air masses
- Aircraft Icing
- Meteorological Services Available to Pilots
- Aviation Weather Reports
- Aviation Forecasts
General Knowledge encompasses several subtopics in one, making up a large portion of the course. We’ll cover everything from the wing design to LiPo batteries to how standard operating procedures make operations safer.
Theory of Flight
- Principles of Flight
- Forces Acting on an Aeroplane
- Design of the Wing
- Rotor Design
- Load Factor
- Aeroplane Flight Controls
- Helicopter Flight Controls
- Aircraft Components
- Helicopter Aerodynamics
- Multi Rotor Copter Dynamics
- Recovery Systems
Engines, Airframes and Systems
- Electrical System
- Fuel Systems and Fuels
- Data Links
- Electrical Motors
- Launch and Recovery Systems
- Maintenance and Record Keeping
- Aircraft Performance
- Performance Charts and Data
- Weight and Balance
- Aircraft Critical Surface Contamination
- External Loads
- Occupational health and Safety
- UAV VLOS Operations
- Pitot Static System
- Airspeed Indicator
- Heading Indicator
- Attitude Indicator
- Instrument Flying
- Control Station and Simulation
- Aviation Physiology
- The Pilot and the Operating Environment
- Aviation Psychology
- Equipment-Materials Relationship, Operating Procedures
- Interpersonal Relations
Though not required by Transport Canada, we cover what a UAS operation looks like from start to finish. We’ll guide you through the Staff Instruction, what to include (and not include!) in an SFOC application and much, much more. This section helps us to put the puzzle pieces together by applying the knowledge you’ve gained throughout the course.